Can a Locksmith Make a Key from a Lock?
- by: 24Hr Lockouts
- in lock changing, lock rekeying
Can a locksmith make a key from a lock? That’s a very good question, and one that most people do not stop to consider. The simple answer to the question, can a locksmith make a key from a lock, is yes. However, the steps involved in doing this are slightly more complicated, but still feasible if handled by a locksmith.
Why Would a Locksmith Make a Key From a Lock?
This question usually arises when someone is in need of an additional key. In most cases, a locksmith will not have to make a key from a lock when they are asked to make a duplicate key, because it is more likely that the original key is still functional and intact. However, when a key is broken or extremely worn down, you will find it hard to make a new key unless you ask a locksmith to make a key from a lock.
Some people will need to know if a locksmith can make a key from a lock because they have lost their original keys, or broken them in locks. Each of these scenarios will likely leave you asking the question, can a locksmith make a key from a lock? Once you have a grasp on the ways these scenarios can arise, you will know how to successfully navigate them.
- For a locksmith to make a key from a lock, they can either attempt to cut a new key to code, impression the lock, or disassemble the lock cylinder to measure its internal components.
- A locksmith will require the use of additional tools to accomplish some of the processes that were discussed above. For instance, a code cutter will be needed to cut a key to code, and files and key blanks will be needed to impression a lock.
- Non-destructive entry methods are ideal when a locksmith is disassembling a lock because you do not to destroy any of the internal components of the lock.
- Some locks have specific features that deter using a lock to make a key, and it is nearly impossible to have a key made without having access to the original key.
- In some instances, it is much more affordable and expedient to have a locksmith replace your locks, rather than attempting to have a new key made from a lock.
If you need help with a lock, key, or an emergency lockout, contact us at 24 HR Lockouts for quick, reliable, professional service.