Holiday Shopping Safety Tips
- by: 24Hr Lockouts
- in car lockout, safety tips
It’s an unfortunate thing, but we all need to be aware and cautious while out doing our holiday shopping. Shopping in a crowded mall while carrying multiple bags and other items can make you a target for criminals. Therefore, 24 HR Lockouts has assembled this list of shopping mall safety tips to keep you and your purchases safer. Whether you are out shopping alone or with family and friends, it’s important to take precautions.
Shopping Mall Safety Tips
- Be aware and trust your instincts. It’s easy to get caught up in shopping and gift lists. Remember to be mindful of your surroundings while you are out shopping. If something seems off, or unsafe, trust your gut and ask for help when needed.
- Park in well-lit areas that are close to your destination. Look under, in, and around your car as you are approaching it. If you are shopping alone, do not hesitate to ask security to escort you to your vehicle, especially at night.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view in your car; such as gifts, cell phones, purses, clothing, etc. Put these items in the trunk or cover them up. This will decrease the likelihood of a car break-in.
- Carry your keys in your hand while walking to your car. This will help to ensure you get into your vehicle quickly and you can use your keys as a weapon if necessary. Also, if you have a “Panic” button on your keys; be sure not to put your keys away too quickly.
- Don’t linger in the parking lot. When returning to your car, get in, lock the doors, buckle up, and leave. Parking lots are not a good place to unwind, relax, or make phone calls.
- Do not allow cell phone conversations, text messaging, or even headphones and music be a distraction to you while you are shopping or walking back to your car.
- Keep your cell phone on you, in a pocket, or in your hand – this way in the incident of a purse snatching you will still have a phone to make calls.
- If possible, invite a friend to go shopping with you. It’s always more fun to have a friend join you, and safer too.
- Always know where the nearest exits are in the case of an emergency.
- Always accompany children to the bathroom, and do not leave them alone while you use the restroom.
- Keep an eye on children around escalators. Check their clothing for untied shoe laces, hanging scarves. Escalators have an emergency stop button at the top and bottom; press this button immediately if something gets stuck.
If you get locked out of your car, contact 24 HR Lockouts for assistance.
Stay safe while shopping, and 24 HR Lockouts wishes you a very happy holidays!